Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and a new M? Now what's wrong with R8?
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:51:29 -0600

There's nothing wrong with the R8 at all: It's a fine eight
hundred-dollar camera body, though outclassed by Nikon's F3 in many
respects (the R8 has the advantage of much newer electronic design). I'd
be happy to own either one along with a macro and a couple of good
zooms.

Leica does price the R system far too high, given the amount of
competition they face, but  if they price the bodies and a core set of
popular lenses aggressively, and maybe license the R-mount and ROM
technology to 3rd parties, things could get very interesting very
quickly. With more folks buying into the R system, maybe even the more
exotic optics would benefit from economies of scale.

I have been thinking about getting a 35mm SLR again for the
aforementioned macro and zoom lenses. Right now, I'm considering the
Cosina-made Nikon FM10, and in the higher price ranges, Canon's top EOS
models and Nikon's F100 look best (I haven't seen the Minolta Maxxum 9).
I like the kind of automation that assists but does not overrule, and at
around $1200, the aforementioned automatics look really good. At $800,
the R6-2 and R8 would be very attractive alternatives, and I wouldn't
feel the need to make excuses for either.

- --
Jeff Segawa
Boulder, Colorado
www.boulder.net/~4season