Subject: [Leica] Aberrations with Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH?
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <atkielski@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 12:10:36 +0100

I was looking at some scanned slides taken with my Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH, and
I noticed some anomalies in the images.  I don't think they come from the lens,
but I'm curious:

1.  In one image taken almost directly into the sun (about 20 degrees away from
it), there are two very slight, arc-like reddish reflections or flares in the
image.  I assume they came from the sun's proximity, and intuitively I'd guess
that they came from perhaps the UV filter (a Leica filter) on the lens, but
maybe not.  Is this coming from the lens itself?

2.  In another image taken from shadow through trees towards the sun, the scans
show a very slight blue fringe around the washed-out highlights coming through
the leaves and the dark leaves themselves.  It looks like it might be a scan
artifact, but the details are so small on the original slide that I can't see
them with an ordinary loupe to check for sure (worse yet, the loupe introduces
larger chromatic aberrations of its own).  Does anyone know if this could be
from the lens, or is it just in the scan?

Neither of these is a problem for me; I'm just wondering what caused them.

  -- Anthony