Subject: Re: [Leica] Aberrations with Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH?
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <atkielski@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 17:25:59 +0100

From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 1999 14:35

> The filter most likely, Leica UVa or not. I've had this
> before to in similar conditions.

Good.  I'd rather it be the filter than the lens.  Unfortunately, I didn't see
it until the slides were developed; otherwise I could have tried the same shot
without the filter.

> This is most probably due to the scanner. It was the Nikon
> Super Coolscan LS-2000 you have, isn't it?

Yup.  I see it around really contrasty bright spots, like white sky through
nearly black leaves.  It reminds me a lot of the nearly identical effect I see
on my Nikon Coolpix 950 digital camera, which does the very same thing in the
same conditions.  Someone suggested that this was do to sensitivity of the CCD
detectors to infrared, but I really don't know.

> FWIW, this is even aggravated when printing on color
> inkjets like the Epson Stylus Photo 1200 I am using.

Fortunately, I just scan.  Also, the fringes only seem to be a pixel or two in
width, and since I usually downsample for most uses, they disappear in the final
result.

I mainly wanted to see if my own suspicions about the causes were shared by
others.

  -- Anthony