Subject: RE: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson Tete-a-Tete
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 04:38:22 -0500

Ah ha Godfrey,

The early bird sucks, if one is currently incarnated as a worm. Good morning
sir.

Does George still live with his mother?

Well you are absolooodly right, about the 'happening to others' bit. That's
what I wish. De-deify HCB, get some perspective (with well-rounded bokeh, of
course) on his contribution. Let the other unsung poets of the lens be
accorded some rec$ognition.

One of my good buddies is older than Methusalah, has been on and off the
streets, heroin, booze, the whole 27 feet, for a very long time. We have
breakfast together about monthly these days.

He has somehow held on to, and always used, his Nikon F, (usually with no
finder/prism, occasionally with no screen) and battered and scratched and
dinged and bent and dropped very old 28/3.5. I love him very much, but his
addictions and suffering and smell attract most folks adverse judgement. I
have many many of his negs in my apartment. Twice I have purchased the F
from him/for him, knowing where the money was going  - down a very dark
ladder of cold steel and sweet fire.

But, his images make my mind shudder, we can't make them if we don't live
them. HCB, smhcb. There is more decision in the moments of the images I have
been given custody of than in any upper class abstract imagery. And guess
what. HCB's education cost way less. Dave's can't be accounted for in $$$$.

Now, if only Dave was wealthy enough to get his self-promotion machine into
gear...

best of light,

Alistair