Subject: [Leica] Re: DR a bargain??
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 17:51:10 -0700

At 11:00 AM 11/3/99 -0500, Marc James Small wrote:

>Don't be a fool.  The DR provides a nice and quite portable macro capacity
>without the horrors associated with SLR's.  An SLR cannot do the job
>"better", as it is an SLR and, by definition, a piece of rattly-ass junk
>compared to a rangefinder.
>
>Marc

This is a really amazing comment. First, the DR does not provide macro
capability. My 75/1.4 gives a LARGER image size than the DR when against
the close focus stop It's not a macro lens either.

Second, Macro with an M camera requires a Visoflex. What's that you say...
you have to convert the M into a rattly-ass piece of junk SLR for macro
work? Jeez... They should have just built the Viso into an M camera and
been done with it. Oops... they did. It's called the Leicaflex, then the R6
and R6.2 cameras. They even made it so that the meter looks through the
lens while you are looking through the lens, so macro and filter exposure
compensation is taken care of automatically. Cool.

Let's see now... the "Horrors" of an SLR. TTL viewing, TTL metering, TTL
macro, compact package, no parallax, focusing is wysiwyg (no cams and
mirrors to attempt to relay to you correct focus, which is frequently wrong
at f/1.4 & f/2.0 close up), Wysiwyg viewing (no frame lines that depict
different coverage depending upon where the lens is focused.), depth of
field preview, tripod socket in the middle of the camera, quick to load,
HUGE array of available lenses, killer variable focal length lenses,
1/2000th shutter (R6.2). Well... that's enough to be horrified with for now.

The only rattly-ass contraption I know of is a neighbors old semi running
Audi. They have a Yugo that they tow behind it to insure that they can get
home.

;-)

Jim