Subject: Re: [Leica] scientific lens testing is ridiculous?
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 07:42:06 -0500

All,

Erwin, as usual, is correct. However, in this case, Mike may be more
guilty of ready-fire-aim thinking than intellectual suicide. Mike, come
down off that ledge!

It also has been my experience over the years that lens test evaluations
often conflict to some degree. It is then our challenge to determine the
consensus view, combining the best science with the best user reports.
As a passionate user (who a couple of weeks ago saw one of my images
taken with an R8/70-180 at 2.8 enlarged to 16x24 FEET), I find the use
of lens tests to be an absolute imperative to my potential.
Photography is permanently one part technical mastery and one part
aesthetic mastery. Therein lies the challenge.

Very glad Erwin is still in the saddle,

David W. Almy
Annapolis