Subject: Re: [Leica] That idiot Johnston again
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 10:58:24 -0500

At 08:40 AM 11/7/1999 +0000, you wrote:
>Right. Which meant WHAT? Why add "-es"? "Marces" = "Marc his." I don't
>believe most linguistic scholars (great ones or not) rely entirely on
>textual evidence of early language, since illiteracy was the common
>condition and written notation was both rare and entirely
>unstandardized.

It's an inflected ending, Mike.  It has nothing directly to do with "his".
Old English was an inflected language, like German, Latin, Russian, or
Ancient Greek.  I'm relatively well read in Old and Middle English, and the
construction you suggest -- "Marc, his bucu", simply does not exist, while
"Marces bucu" is relatively common, though a dative of possession is
encountered on occasion, as well.

In other words, the inflected ending, "-es" (cognate, incidentally, to the
original Indo-European genitive in "-s", as seen in Sanskrit and Greek and
in frozen Latin forms such as Pater Familias) became slurred and the
apostrophe indicates the missing vowel.  It's just that clear and clean.
(For that matter, the "-s" genitive ending can still be found in modern
German and, I believe, Dutch, the closest cousins to English.)

Occam's Razor slices only one way here, Mike.  No reputable scholar has
ever even considered your suggestion, and heaven only knows whence you
derive it.  The entire body of students of Old and Middle English for
several hundred years has explained the possessive apostrophe in Modern
English as being derived from the residual inflected ending in "-s".

See, inter multa alia, Quirk & Wrenn, AN OLD ENGLISH GRAMMAR, Sweet's OLD
ENGLISH PRIMER, Wrenn, THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE,  Blakely, TEACH YOURSELF OLD
ENGLISH, Mallory, IN SEARCH OF THE INDO-EUROPEANS, and Shiller, A NEW
COMPARATIVE GRAMMAR OF GREEK AND LATIN, for discussion.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!