Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 1200 vs Photo EX
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 09:31:02 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I have two choices: the new 1200 with whatever improvements it contains,
> or the Photo EX which is older but cheaper and takes the same cartridges
> as the 700. Can someone comment on the differences between the two? TIA.

Photo Ex = 4-color cartridge
Photo 1200 = 6-color cartridge, smaller dots

However, had I been thinking more clearly, I might've given the 4-color
printers (particularly the big 3000-series) more serious consideration
for dedicated black-and-white work, as until recently, greyscale ink
kits were only available for the 4-color models.

So far, I have not printed out anything beyond A4 at max resolution,
mostly because it's proven very memory intensive: Upgrading my machine
from 64 to 192 megabytes of RAM has reduced print times from 5 hours to
about 15 minutes, but I defintely could use more RAM. Anyone found a
good deal on PC100/PC133 modules? Best I've been able to do previously
was $100/128 megabytes (CompUSA, after rebate), but prices since that
time seem to be up sharply.
- --
Jeff Segawa
Boulder, Colorado