Subject: Re: [Leica] M Campaign
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 20:51:45 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> Last night I was on a powerful enough computer to really get a good look at
> the M campaign brochure for the first time...and...sorry, folks, but from a
> marketing standpoint it made me want to gag.
>
> It is graphically wonderful. But that's all it is - a graphic designer and a
> pedantic writer showing off.
>
> It's a campaign designed to turn the Leica M into the Rolex of photography,
> an expensive status symbol that one will need to display to be "with it."

The new campaign is aimed at a younger audience, and that's very smart:
Brand recognition with the sub-40 crowd is, from my observation (I've
been hauling M cameras about for about 10 years, since I was 27), just
awful, yet they are Leica's future. The new monied establishment reads
Wired and dreams of adventure travel: Leica's simply changing with the
times. The old brochures are pleasant but not compelling, IMO.

Leica is and always has been a "Rolex of Photography", but that needn't
stop you from taking world-class photos with one!
- --
Jeff Segawa
Boulder, Colorado
www.boulder.net/~4season