Subject: [Leica] New Japanese M's and new Voigtlander products
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 12:31:11 -0800

Over the weekend I was able to visit with several Japanese friends who
shared new product information.  In the past they have both proved  reliable
sources.  The new M camera  information is unconfirmed.  Even if all the
rumors are true,  plans can obviously change.  We will see what makes it to
the marketplace.

1) Apparently Cosina had 2nd thoughts about a LTM Bessa Rangefinder, in the
face of new competition from the Hexar.  I am told Cosina - Voigtlander new
Rangefinder body will probably appear in M mount.   The prototype's
rangefinder is reported as being much better than the RF in the Hexar RF
prototype.

2) In December,   Cosina - Voigtlander will start delivering  clip on meters
for older classic rangefinders, such as the knob wind Leicas, Contax
rangefinders, and the Nikon S and S2.  It's a silicon cell with LED readout,
with easy to read dual dials for f-stops and shutter speeds.  The meters are
NOT coupled to the camera, of course.    Dual accessory shoe adapters will
allow the mounting of the meter AND separate finder for the knob wind
Leicas, Contax, Nikon S and S2.

3) I just got my first Voigtlander 35mm and 75mm brightline finders.  They
are amazingly well done and of very high quality.  I was very surprised to
find I prefer them to the Leica brightlines.  Very bright, clear finders.
The 35 finder is styled like the Voigtlander 15 and 25 finders, only larger
and with a brightline showing parallax correction marks.  The  75 finder is
styled like the old Leitz 50 brightline, and could even be mistaken for it
at a quick glance -- a brightline with parallax correction marks.  The
Voigtlander 50 brightline is expected to be released in December.
likewise I just got my first Cosina made Voigtlander 50/1.5 Noktons.  well
made, robust lenses with smooth controls, styled similar to the original
chrome 50/1.4 Summilux.

4) two different sources who viewed Hexar RF prototypes were less than
enthusiastic about the finder.  They were not happy about Rangefinder
brightness and clarity.  Whether production Hexar RF's will be improved
remains to be seen.   A very surprising failing of the Hexar RF is NO TTL
flash.

5) Ricoh is also expected to market a new M camera next year.  Ricoh is
rumored to have participated in the development of the Hexar with Konica.
About six different  Konica Hexar prototypes were developed, at least one
with manual film advance.  No information on whether the Ricoh is similar to
the Hexar, or if it is developed upon one of the other prototypes.

6) Minolta is also believed to preparing a new M camera for the new year.
With their experience in the CL and CLE,  I will be surprised if Minolta
does not make the best of  the Japanese M's.

7)  Perhaps the most interesting of all  will be how Leica responds to the
new Japanese M competition.   It reminds me of the late 1950's when Leica,
Canon, Contax and Nikon were slugging it out in the Rangefinder marketplace.

Stephen Gandy