Subject: [Leica] I didn't say that!
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 00:17:23 -0500

Mike Johnston,

>>The ideas that I object to are that 1.) "Goodness" in a lens<<
>>used for expressive photography can be defined technically.<<
>>2.) that one lens can be said to be absolutely "better" than<<
>>another even though the parameters of intended usage<<
>>are undefined. 3.) that one lens being "better" than another<<
>>makes a whit of difference to anyone but a pure snob.<<

First & foremost, Mike, let me say what I'm about to express
is only meant to clarify your position for me. Socratic method!

Let me also quote you from "photo.net/photo/leica; 10/22/99!

"Over the past 19 years I've rather *obsessively* investigated
lenses within the range of focal lengths I use for my work.....
........I've *tested* literally dozens upon dozens of lenses........
........& from every period of history from the 1950s. As you
teach yourself to recognize optical aberrations.......& carry
out *tests* designed to make typical flaws show up,"

Now comparing your thoughts on the ideas that you
*currently*  have objections with:

1.)That  "Goodness" can be found technically. It sure seems
like you've done your share of *testing*; if not for "goodness",
then what?  Were your *tests* not technical?

2.) A clearly stated position which I understand fully. Whew ;-)!

3.) That only "snobs" care about "better". Given that you admit
to *obsessively* investigating" lenses & *testing* them as well,
& that you're not a snob; just what in the world were you looking
for?  If not "better"....what?  ;-)!

Definition of *obsession*; a compulsive, often unreasonable
idea or emotion. Well, join the rest of the LUG nuts ;-)!

Now to determine if your *obsessive* searching with all of that
*testing* is any different than what Erwin does; or for that matter,
some of the rest of us!

I.E., is there a "difference in kind OR degree" between the two
methods? If only a difference in degree, & it sure *seems* like
........hmmm, well, just how *do* you reconcile the two quotes?

Given your virtuosity with words, Mike; I look forward to your
response. And, most sincerely, I am confused ;-)!

Tom D.