Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ongoing digital print debate...
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:58:57 -0500

Debby Dion wrote:

> Jonathan:
> Think what you may; the results are quite beautiful as far as artistic
> quality with Leica glass, traditional developing, nikon supercoolscan
2000,
> epson stylus 3000 with lyson inks. You are forgetting that it's just a
> method of printing. I archive exactly as you do. I save my negatives and
> contact sheets; I wouldn't be terribly upset if my "zip disks" became
> obsolete.
> Debby Dion

    Fair enough about artistic quality, this is subjective. To me, the super
high gloss Ciba has a three dimensional quality which I like. An added
benefit is that the print may in fact have a longer life than the chrome,
especially using E-6 films. There is something to be said about the final
print, matted and framed and presented, having its own estimated long life
span. Unless you are digitally manipulating the image, and hence creating a
new art form, I don't see a big benefit to B&W digital printing as the
traditional silver techniques are really quite easy and quite inexpensive in
comparison, but not everyone has ready access to a darkroom. Where I work we
have both a scanner, Epson printer and a darkroom. I once had ready access
to an automated Cibachrome processor and frankly its a snap to use ... just
expose the sheet and feed it into the machine. Sure its expensive, but so is
the scanner and printer, and it doesn't get outdated every 6 months.

Jonathan Borden