Subject: [Leica] enlarger lenses
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:38:31 +0100

Bob noted he could not see any difference when using several enlarger
lenses and wandered what may make a difference.

Hi Bob,

I understand your question marks. First of all: are you sure your
enlargement is 40 x?
You mention:  6-1/4" x 9-1/2", which should be about 8 times
enlargements. That is hardly enough for comparison goals.
You do not tell me what aperture you use for the enlargements, nor
what film you have used. A 400 ISO grainy film will not be the ideal
negative for testing. And what is the quality of the negative.
Without this info it is very difficult if not impossible to make any
proposals.
Let me tell you that any of the topclass enlarger lenses stopped down
to 5.6 will produce outstanding results. Maybe you should stop
looking for the ultimate here, as the differences are small. It is
your exposure/development technique and  your stable hand/accuracy of
focusing which are at stake. Try a Agfa APX 25 negative on a
demanding subject that fills the frame completely and try an
enlargement of 15 times. That may be discriminating.

Erwin