Subject: [Leica] R8 convert (long)
From: apbc <apbc@public1.sta.net.cn>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 99 18:08:03 +0800

Just thought I would ad my thoughts after having used an R8 for just a
few weeks.

I have been an M user for more than 15 years of hard professional work
primarily in the Far East but in punishing locales from Siberia in
mid-winter to Indonesian rain forests. I work for demanding clients from
Coca-Cola to Newsweek and shoot primarily colour transparency though also
a lot of black and white for my personal projects.

I have been stepping slowly and carefully into the R system in addition
to EOS which IMHO is the pro standard 35mm system and likely to only get
more firmly entrenched there. OTOH I find the pleasure in using Leicas M
and R gives me back something I continue to find lacking in the EOS
system: they are simpler, offer a better tactile experience especially
the lenses and on the whole do not do things faster than you can think
nor adopt automation beyond mortal comprehension. The AF and AE facility
of EOS cameras is far beyond anything Leica is capable of anytime in the
near future but both aspects encourage laziness in the photographer if
only because the cameras are designed with MF and manual exposure control
as  occasional overrides rather than the normal operating mode. In other
words they can focus very quickly and accurately and set the exposure
pretty consistently but at the same time you cannot wholly trust an AE
system that is not linear and you do not know what it is measuring (i.e.
in matrix mode) in that it has unpredicatble biasing. Having said that it
is very useful in certain situations, invaluable in a few.

The main operational advantage of AF in general photography is that it
can make slow or even relatively hard to focus fast zoom lenses workable
in most lighting situations. Also as Bill Pierce remarked in his well
considered piece on Digital Journalist about EOS, they finally make
focussing fast (or even slow) wideangles on SLRs just about as accurate
and predictable as Ms. Having said all this going to Rs might seem
retrograde but I only use a 28 on my Rs and keep my Ms for other wides.

So what do I like about the R8? Firstly it fits my hand very well (I have
slightly larger than average hands), the focusing screen is good (though
not as good as my Maxwell-treated R6 screen) and easy to focus in the
central field. With the winder it is a comfortable handful and not too
heavy or large, compared to the EOS1 or 3 which have a considerably
larger profile (when fitted with the boosters - which I prefer for
balance reasons). The metering selector switch is conveniently placed
next to the speed dial which has a very good positive yet not too firm
feel. The idiosyncracies of the other controls are not so endearing: the
depth of field preview is stiff (though much better than earlier Rs), the
ISO/frame No LCD display seems awkward and tacky and for no good reason
is only on when the meter is on. The contoured grip on the back is very
comfortable and firm.

In use it is straightforward and the metering in particular is very
accurate: much better than my various EOSs and the only camera (besides
my R6) with a really trustworthy (IME) spot meter.

A few words about the R6: I love the size of the body, hate the grip for
the motor drive (R4 version) which seems to be an ergonomic failure:
impossible to reach the speed dial with one's hand strapped into the
highly uncomfortable plastic protrusion which is ugly, clumsy and
inconvenient so I do not use it. It is hard to rewind film with a flash
attached to the R6 shoe and the fact that it uses a different an
incompatible TTL system to the R8 is a pain. I actually prefer the
slightly larger screen image of the R6 to the R8's but then I have 20/20
vision and do not wear glasses. I usually use my left eye for viewing
though or I would most likely remove the motor for most of my shooting.

Well the main reason for my move to Rs is the lenses: I have a 28, 60 and
80-200 all current types and all wonderful in colour or black and white.
They are sharp and most particularly have great contrast in low light
situations but the main thing for me is the rich colour that they offer
which makes for more consistency when using my Ms at the same time.

So why not quit EOS and go the whole hog? Well the obvious problem of
expense is certainly one reason: however you cut it buying and
maintaining Leicas is more expensive than Canon. The main reason for me
is that the service of Leicas in this part of the world, despite the
considerable sales they have in say Hong Kong or Japan, is dreadful: slow
and usually at least twice the price of Germany or USA. One M lens I had
took 6 months to fix. For Canon there is a network of excellent service
stations in at least half a dozen cities in mainland China and for
example I had a shift lens cleaned (internal elements had been
contaminated after exposure to chemicals at a refinery), relubed and
broken parts replaced in Beijing in 12 hours for less than USD30. I am
sure an equivalent problem with a Leica lens would involve a trip to Hong
Kong a wait of 2-6 months and a service charge of 10-20 times greater
magnitude.

A few years ago a senior manager from Solms told me that Leica planned to
start its 3rd full service repair station (after Solms and New Jersey) in
Hong Kong. Not only has this not happened but they do not even seem to
have a trained M repair person there and most optical servicing beyond
CLA is just sent to Solms. This is pretty poor: even Linhof have a proper
repair service in Hong Kong and they are much smaller than Leica.

The other problem is that stock levels are very low and it is hard to get
even basic accessories: for example filters, lens hoods are IME special
order items in many cases. Pretty bad and just unworkable for a busy pro.

Anyhow I love using the Rs and live in hope that Leica will get its act
together: it is not just about product but also service...

Bests froim rainy Shanghai

Adrian