Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF...Good News...Bad News
From: "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:54:48 -0500

I have to make a comparison here between Leica and Harley Davidson.  Before
youall get over your spasms at this seemingly absurd scenario, allow me to
elaborate.

Harley recently took what amounts to obsolete, 1936 technology sold at
premium prices and built a success story from it.  Harley was by all
accounts on the ropes as a company in the late 70s when AMF owned them.
Some of the company officers that had good ideas and faith in the product
proposed a buyout and AMF agreed.  The principles then went to the
government and convinced them to negotiate an import moratorium on large
Japanese bikes for several years.  They then applied some very sound
management, design and marketing techniques and, after going public in the
early 80s, made a huge success out of what are still obsolete products at
premium prices.  So it can be done!

Perhaps Harley and Leica could look into a joint venture?
Hmmmm.......rangefinder body with a V twin engine........

JB