Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF...Good News...Bad News
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:41:53 EST

 The discussion on how to "save" Leica seems to offer enough choices for the
management and if we all put in our two "Pfennigs" worth we can probably buy
the company - the Ultimate Collectible!
 Everybody else has had a go at it, so here is my try.
 Leica's product line is fine, with the exception of the R-system. The
M-camera is probably as evolved as it can be without going "hi-tech". The
biggest problem facing Leica now is how to increase sales. For the last 20-25
years the marketing has been targeting the existing M-owners. This is a
rather reactionary group, we don't want to many innovations, status quo is
fine and although we splurge and buy the latest APO/Asph etc lenses, we are
still hoarding our old 35's and 50's and only buy the new stuff to prove to
ourselves that the old stuff is still the best! The problem is that we are a
diminishing group, death and taxes take their toll. We also wake up
occasionally and say to ourselves "enough is enough - lets shoot with what we
have, rather than go broke on the latest piece of glass"!
 Leica and Mr. Cohn must expand the base of customers. Rather than trying to
sell a slightly changed product to those of us who already have a perfectly
usable version of the same product, they have to expand the market. If you
ask the younger crowd of photographers, they are almost surprised that the
Leica is still being made! At ICP in NYC among 25 students, 2 owned Leica's
and the picture is similar at most every "Photographic" educational facility.
All right, the price of a Leica M puts it out of reach to most students, but
there seems to be no "lusting" after the M either. For those of us that have
reached middle age and beyond, remember the thrill of getting a new lens or a
new body. You did save, ate a lot of cheap food and abstained from expensive
habits for months at end to scrape the money together and then one day you
stood there with your green/white box and a pristine M2 or M3 in it. You
unwrapped it, attached a strap and the lens (35/2 of course) and loaded it
up. The old used one that it replaced was thanked for its hard service and
allowed a period of rest and out you went with your new tool. There is
something missing today, you phone or e-mail a dealer in another time-zone,
give him/her your credit card number and 24-48 hours later FedEx delivers.
Somehow not the same thing. Leica almost did achieve this period of
anticipation with the 90/2 APO-Asph and the R-8 Motor, but most of us could
scrape the money together in the 2 years it took to bring these products to
the market and now the delay become an aggravation instead. Now, how do we
install the same quality of  "worth the wait" in the younger, larger market
for M-products? The optical performance is one thing, the durability is
another and the historical background can and should be capitalised upon. The
new M-brochure does this well, but there is something missing here. The same
cache that sells Rolex, Louis Vuitton, Mont-Blanc and to some extent Porsche
should be applied to Leica. Make it something that you reward yourself with
and also make it something that defines you as a person who knows good value
and good design. There are enough well paid professionals in a variety of
fields that at 25 years of age and over that can afford "the best" and all we
have to do is tell them as far as cameras go, the M is it!
 The discussion of "new products" and "more whiz-bang diodes" is a moot one.
Rolex/L-V/ Mont-Blanc and Porsche/Morgan survive because they are constants.
The product is refined as it is being made, but for all practical purposes it
remains the same as it was decades ago. The M-camera is and should remain the
antidote to the gadget-laden offerings from other manufacturers. All that
remains for Leica and those of us who use the products is to convince the
younger ones around us to go forth and spend on it. It is not an entirely
selfless suggestion either. Some of these new buyers will tire of the camera,
as they do of their Rolexes, L-V luggage, Mont-Blanc pens and Porsches and
sell them, at a discount to us, but some will take to the camera, become
fascinated with the mechanics of it, its optical performance and the history.
They will possibly join the LUG and LHSA and expand our circle of friends
with a common interest and they might even turn out to be damned good
photographers too.
 So go out there and introduce the joy of an M to a young person and point
them to the Leica-shop nearest you and tell them to spend their stock
dividends or "signing-up" bonuses on something that will give them years of
pleasure. You are doing yourself a service, expanding the availability of
buyers and sellers of Leica stuff and you are doing your part to keep the
Leica-Legend alive!
 The alternative to this is that all LUGgers chip in and ante up about
$70,000 each and we buy the company and run it as we would like it to be run.
You think that Mr. Cohn has problem today, imagine a shareholders meeting
consisting of 700 LUGgers. All with one vote each trying to decide the future
of the company and the product line! To quote Brando in Apocalypse Now "The
Horror, the Horror".
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC