Subject: Re: [Leica] Color and digital
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:30:02 -0500

Mike Johnston wrote:

> I'm one. I've never liked "traditional" color photo media--I absolutely
> abhor the typical "slide look" in prints, underexposed "for saturation"
> and looking contrasty and lightless--I've seen hundreds of thousands of
> such pictures and I'm sorry, but I think it's an inherently ugly medium.

Sounds to me like you are looking at too many bad pictures. Perhaps you just
don't like photography in general, are you getting bored? Midlife crisis?
That's okay there are lots of great new digitally oriented publications.
Look at what "Wired" has done for advertising ... I think the artwork is
terrific. Digital multimedia has a great future, and since the products
change every few months, there is a huge future in product reviews.

> I think maybe nine of ten of the best-looking color prints I've seen in
> recent years have been digital. (And every tenth print is a dye
> transfer.) High-end giclee prints can be stunning, although giclee
> printers have a tendency to overdo the color.

There is a recent tendency to overdue color in general. Perhaps this is the
"Wired" effect. Perhaps people's memories of color are enhanced by too much
caffeine ... who knows? For me, I'm waiting until Microsoft's announced
direct brain i/o device is released next year. That way I can bypass the
inherent aberrations and flare of my own eye's lens and get really great
color saturation.

All the best :-)

Jonathan