Subject: [Leica] Swirling cigar smoke
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:10:07 +0000

>>>I mean, would GM reintroduce the X-cars today? No way!!
The prime product for Leica is lenses.  Many people will pay for Leica
glass, few will pay for an old design MF SLR.
They need to wake up and produce lenses for AF SLRS, perhaps even
rebadge an
AF body for use with their lenses<<<

I hate to weigh in with yet another totally speculative opinion, but
since the aroma of leather armchairs and cigar smoke is so heavy
already, whatthehell. I agree with Peter on this one. If you think about
it, what's the one area in which Leica really seems to know what they're
doing? Optics. What's the one area in which their products continue to
be actually, and not just arguably, state-of-the-art? Optics. What's the
one are in which they continue undeniably to innovate and regularly
introduce appealling and marketable new products? Optics.

I'd be the last person to wish for the demise of the classic M. But I'd
bemoan the loss of the R lens line even more. Lenses are the one area in
which Leica really shines. I think the way to the future is pretty
clear. They should do everything practicable to stimulate lens sales.

Of course, that's easy to say sitting here in a nice leather armchair
with cigar smoke swirling around my head*, perfectly insulated from the
real business concerns. We're just kibitzers. And I for one have no clue
whether the introduction of two or three new Japanese M-mount cameras
would end up being GOOD or BAD for Solms...I could see it going either
way.**

- --Mike

*figuratively speaking...I'm actually sitting on a hard wooden chair
drinking bottled water. But you know what I mean.

**purely hypothetical question: if you could have ONLY a Leica M6 with a
Cosina 35mm f/1.7 Ultron lens on it, OR a Konica Hexar RF with a Leica
35mm f/1.4 ASPH on it, which would you want to actually shoot pictures
with???