Subject: [Leica] Yeah
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:11:32 +0000

>>>I listened to a lot of the anti-hype on the R8 until about a year ago
when I
actually used one. The truth is, it is a REALLY nice camera. I wonder if
lot of detractors have actually owned one, or even used one, for any
amount
of time<<<

Two points: first, this is exactly what I've said about the Hexar RF and
exactly what I've learned about all cameras over years of reviewing.
Don't pre-judge--you just don't know what you're talking about until you
give something an extended trial.

Second point--and this may appear to contradict the first point,
although it doesn't, really--is that typical capitalists claim that the
market is a "perfect engine" in part because it gives people exactly
what they want. I argue that it doesn't give people what they want, it
gives them what they THINK they want before they've actually bought and
used the thing. IOW, it rewards products that "self-market": that look
or seem understandable or appealling BEFORE the act of purchase. If a
consumer thinks something is a bad idea before he tries it, it doesn't
matter if he's wrong and would love it if only he tried it. He'll never
reach the point of purchase. It rewards shelf-appeal more than actual
desirability.

- --Mike