Subject: [Leica] $40 lenscaps
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:45:32 +0000

It's not even
that nice of a cap. A front cap (14133) for $40! Who's kidding who? It's
just
molded plastic. If Leica can't farm out the manufacture of plastic lens
caps
so that they could be sold for less than $40 the company DESERVES to go
out
of business . . .

Bob ($40 for a stinking lens cap!?) McEowen<<<

Yeah, and then consider my earlier argument that an Olympus Stylus Epic
embodies the true virtues of the LTM Leicas of the '20s and '30s--small,
portable, handy, competent, well designed, well made--plus at 6.5
ounces, it contains: an f/2.8 lens with two aspherical elements, a motor
winder, autoloading, motorized rewind, a built in meter, and a built-in
flash.

And it goes for 2.5 times what the $40 Leica lenscap costs ($99).
Consider that for a second--three plastic Leica lenscaps cost MORE than
an Olympus Stylus Epic.

I don't know about you, but that seems absurd to me.

It would be different if the Leica lenscaps looked like they used
to--beautifully finished metal with "Leica" in embossed script. The
lenscap on the 50mm Elmar I've got on the way, I could see paying $40
for. (Take a look at my "new" lens at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=193503985   )

THEN you could say, well, I prefer the quality of the metal lenscap and
I'm willing to pay $40 to get it. But it's just the same cheap piece of
plastic that everybody else uses.

You've all been arguing price and market acceptance on the LUG lately,
but what about keeping UP the quality as another prerequisite for
continued success?? You can charge a high price and succeed if the
perceived quality is really unobtainable anywhere else. And it doesn't
really matter if it's practical...as long as it appeals.

- --Mike