Subject: Re: [Leica] $40 lenscaps
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:50:33 -0800 (PST)

	How about a generic metal screw-in lens caps ? I got one
	of these for my 50mm/f2 summicron-m and it works fine.
	The original plastic leica caps is just too loose and
	I was afraid I was going to loose it (so it went back
	in the box).

	Nothing fancy (not even a brand name) on it.
	I will order another one for my 35mm/f2 summicron-m
	after the lens arrives (still in back order).

	It may take you a few more seconds to remove it and put
	it back but it is cheaper (less than $10 and it is metal).

	Check this link out for more size and pricing details:

	http://www.bhphotovideo.com/photo/acc/caps/metalscrew.html

	Hope that helps.

	PitakC (I don't need no stinkin $40 Leica lens caps)

> It's not even
> that nice of a cap. A front cap (14133) for $40! Who's kidding who? It's
> just
> molded plastic. If Leica can't farm out the manufacture of plastic lens
> caps
> so that they could be sold for less than $40 the company DESERVES to go
> out
> of business . . .
>
> Bob ($40 for a stinking lens cap!?) McEowen<<<
>

> Yeah, and then consider my earlier argument that an Olympus Stylus Epic
> embodies the true virtues of the LTM Leicas of the '20s and '30s--small,
> portable, handy, competent, well designed, well made--plus at 6.5
> ounces, it contains: an f/2.8 lens with two aspherical elements, a motor
> winder, autoloading, motorized rewind, a built in meter, and a built-in
> flash.
>
> And it goes for 2.5 times what the $40 Leica lenscap costs ($99).
> Consider that for a second--three plastic Leica lenscaps cost MORE than
> an Olympus Stylus Epic.
>
> I don't know about you, but that seems absurd to me.
>
> It would be different if the Leica lenscaps looked like they used
> to--beautifully finished metal with "Leica" in embossed script. The
> lenscap on the 50mm Elmar I've got on the way, I could see paying $40
> for. (Take a look at my "new" lens at:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=193503985   )
>
> THEN you could say, well, I prefer the quality of the metal lenscap and
> I'm willing to pay $40 to get it. But it's just the same cheap piece of
> plastic that everybody else uses.
>
> You've all been arguing price and market acceptance on the LUG lately,
> but what about keeping UP the quality as another prerequisite for
> continued success?? You can charge a high price and succeed if the
> perceived quality is really unobtainable anywhere else. And it doesn't
> really matter if it's practical...as long as it appeals.
>
> --Mike

- --
Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman