Subject: RE: [Leica] LTM lenses
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:19:33 -0000

Mike - I am neither an equipment snob, nor do I even understand much of
anything much about the technical side of optics. But take my word for it -
you can SEE the difference between images made with such modern optics as
the ASPHs and their LTM progenitors. And, if you do much shooting with your
lenses at or near maximum aperature, the rediculous investment is well worth
it.

This doesn't mean that the old lenses don't produce pleasing results: they
do. It also doesn't mean that there weren't iconic images produced with
those lenses: there were. But if you need a 35 you can use day in and day
out, under lousy lighting conditions at f 1.4, you WANT the Summilux ASPH,
not the old Summilux. If you need a 90 you can shave with at f2, you WANT
the new 90, not the old Summicron - which was and still is a damn nice lens.

B. D.