Subject: [Leica] Vancouver Micro-LUG meet (LONG!)
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:53:30 -0500

Well, you've heard about the Vancouver LUG meet from the old geezers, so how
about a youthful look at the same thing? ;)

Both Tom and Ted have provided pretty accurate accounts of the events, at
least as accurate as can be expected by anyone with a geriatric memory under
the influence of Lagavulin (hehe), so I thought I might offer
slightly different perspective.

I got back into photography last spring after staying away from about five
years.  I'd previously spent just shy of ten years mucking about with various
cameras, learning what I could from magazines and books.  I've never taken any
photographic lessons or courses, or even really met or talked with any
photographers at any length, mostly because the photographers I have known
have been rather secretive about what they do and how.

Anyway, I first learnt of Tom Abrahamsson through Jonathan Eastland's book and
had the opportunity to meet with Tom, Tuulikki, and LUG celebrity (!) Hans
Palen in Sweden this spring.  They turned out to be extremely knowledable and
friendly guys and upon learning that I was going to be moving to the US to
study, I was invited by Tom and Tuulikki to Vancouver.  I'd learnt of Ted
Grant through the LUG and private email and quickly got to appreciate his
beautiful pictures, delightfully down-to-Earth approach to photography, and
oft cited practical advise: Go out there and take pictures!

I was delighted to learn that Ted and his wife Irene, and Henning and Tanya
would be joining Tom, Tuulikki, and myself for whisky and sushi on the
Saturday evening and then (for the male camera nuts at least!) a swap-meet on
Sunday morning.  Finally, the chance to pick the brains of people who
*really* know what they're doing behind a camera (unlike yours truly! ;)

Well, suffice to say, I think I learnt more about photography, techniques, and
cameras that evening and the following day from Ted, Tom, and Henning, than I
had during the preceeding ten years!  Not to mention the intricacies of
correctly ordering sushi, how to deal with Finnish customs, and what to do
with ten pounds of Jelly Beans.

But the thing I'll remember the most, apart from the tremendous generosity
with which these three great guys shared their knowledge, is the
enthusiasm they have for photography.  Ted's been taking pictures for (quite a
bit!) longer than I've been around and to see him jump up and down with
enthusiasm over all the pictures he sees around him is contagious.  I count
myself truly lucky to have the opportunity to meet with such great people.

Having met with a number of LUGgers around the world, *this* is the greatest
benefit of the LUG in my mind:  To meet with other people who share my love
for and fascination with photography, share ideas, single malts and
photographs.  And to learn.  To make new friends.  To stay in touch with old ones.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |