Subject: [Leica] WAY OFF TOPIC: pukka
From: "Stewart, Alistair" <AStewart@gigaweb.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:14:39 -0500

Well I spent the majority of my childhood and adolescence in England,
Scotland, and Africa, (English schools), and would offer to the American
English speaking LUGers a translation for what "Pukka" means in that
environment: the modern American equivalent is something like "the real
deal".

Pukka in English is not derogatory, but rather a compliment. Nor is it
"regional" use, unless you count the English (as opposed to American
English) speaking parts of the world as a region.

"Ah yes, America and England. Two nations divided by a common language."
Said by...?

Interestingly, one of the reasons English is today's Lingua Franca of
business, academia, etc., is the way in which foreign words have been
absorbed into the vocabulary, without messing around with rules for how they
are to be used. This in in depressing contrast to what is occurring in
American English, where rules are simplified to the point where they are
sufficiently non-specific enough to be confusing. The 'dumbing-down' of
America (and, regrettably, those parts of the world whose populations speak
American English).

But let us not turn this into a nasty exchange about who is right/wrong
about the meaning of PUKKA. Maybe we could go and USE our Leicas instead.

Best of communication,

Alistair