Subject: [Leica] my b&w film test (was Tri-X LUG buy)
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 22:58:25 +0100

>I'm getting heavy into the (Delta) 400 and 3200 with just a dash of 100.
>I have thrown down my pervious favorite Tri X and have forsaken it.

Having read the above I feel an urge to tell you about my recent film test.

I have tried a lot a film/developer combos and I had settled down for Xtol
1+1 with Delta 100, 400,  some 3200 and, of course, good ol' Tri-X.
Recently I read the Andreas Weidner Workshop which is a book in German on
how to get the perfect negative and then make the perfect print from it
(zone system stuff). I got quite inspired and as I have a sort of
densiometer (actually RH Design's Analyser) I decided to carefully  (and
once and for all!)  determine the real film speed of the films I use, and
the development time needed, with both film speed and development time to
reflect  the way I work. I also wanted to see if I could not cut down on
the number of films I use in order to make life simpler. I did all the
testing during two consequtive days, and I think I conducted all the test
in the same fashion, which I can not say about my previous tests which
often were months apart. These are not scientific tests in any way, but I
feel the results are valid, perhaps not in absolute terms, but at least the
comparisons have been made on equal terms.

I photographed grey cards, which I placed in Zone V, and then made
exposures for Zones 0 through 9 (each one stop apart), and six additional
zones which I called 10, 11 and 12 and minus 3, minus 2 and  minus 1. The
additional zones were quite a good idea, as I started the tests based on
the manufacturers'  nominal film speed (except Delta 3200 for which I used
1600) and recommended development times, but wanted to see the effect of
major under- and overdevelopment. I read the density values off the
developed negatives for each of the zones 0-9 and compared the values with
the standard values as per Weidner's book, keeping in mind what Erwin Puts
has said about actual shutter speed being off by as much as 1/3 stop is
within Leicas's norm etc etc.

My conclusions are:

- - Delta 100 has a real speed of 200 in Xtol 1+1 (It is also extremely sharp
and has very fine and nice grain)

- -Delta 400 has a real speed of 400 (and the speed increase of only one stop
in no way compensates for the loss of sharpness and the increased grain vs
Delta 100 @ 200). It is difficult to push this film

- - Delta 3200 is so slow with Xtol 1+1 that it is not worthwhile to use this
combo

- - Tri-X can be pushed to 1600 with just a little bit of loss of shadow
detail. I like the look of this film.

Late this sumer I also tested an ortochromatic film (nominal speed 25)
which was said to be virtually grain free. It was.  However, that did not
make it sharp. It was muddy. As an orange filter is needed with this type
of film, the real speed is so low that it is unintersting given the
quality/speed of Delta 100.

I am now back where I was two-three years ago: Delta 100 @ 200 and Tri_x @
800 or 1600 and both in Xtol 1+1. Life is simple. I am happy. No more
testing! No more testing? We'll see.....