Subject: [Leica] Pros, Leicas, and losing market share.
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:35:07 -0800

Mark,

One reason that Leica may be losing the pro market is the wider range of
digital 35mm cameras being employed by newspapers.  Take a look around.
Between Nikon and Canon the Daily News in NY, NY Times, and many others are
digital these days.

Forget skateborders, but autoeverything cameras are convenient.  There are
many wedding pros these days that are using Nikon F90s/F100 cameras and
EOS-1Ns with zooms.  As much as you and others may not like it, its true.
Take a look at the JFK Jr. wedding pix.  Denis Regie made them using a
EOS-1N and 28-70mm lens.  I know this because I know Denis and we have
discussed this.  He does also use a 'blad but loves the EOS-1n for what it
can do.  Hey don't get me wrong, I am not knocking an M camera.  They are
great for what they can do, but few wedding pros would even consider one.
They want fast AF and good TTL flash.  While I am sure there are probable a
few Leica R users that will indicate they use theirs for weddings, they are
few and far between.  Even look at Nat Geo.  Pop Photo had a write up on
their photogs and found that a great many (more than half) have moved away
from the Leica M camera.  WHY!  Because with an SLR, what you see is what
you get.  No compromise.

Peter K