Subject: RE: [Leica] Pros, Leicas, and losing market share.
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:29:27 -0500

Actually, with an SLR you see what the image looks like wide open i.e. with
minimal DOF, unless you also stop down the lens you don't actually see what
is recorded on film. Even if you do stop down, the dynamic range of the eye
is much different from the particular film you employ, so the image in any
viewfinder is  only an approximation of that which is rendered on film. With
experience, the mind's eye can see what will be recorded on film. Arguably
what is seen within an SLR viewfinder may be more easily translated by a
neophyte into an approximation of what is recorded, but just as arguably, an
expert will not be hindered by the RF viewfinder. I would expect that a true
expert might not need the viewfinder at all ... perhaps this is the market
the neo-Voigtlander is aimed at :-)

Jonathan Borden