Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Contax shutter complexity versus Leica
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:15:46 -0500

This history is relevant. Why did the Contarex bankrupt Zeiss Ikon? The
lesson to be learned is that if you have a solid product and limited
resources, it is best to maintain your market niche (i.e. 35mm RF) rather
than try to leapfrog the competition in a new and unproven market.

Or, alternatively and what I presume the answer to my above question will
demonstrate, the real lesson is that the real revolution in 35mm systems has
been the incorporation of modern manufactoring and quality control practices
which has allowed the introduction of reliable *and* affordable systems.

Jonathan Borden