Subject: [Leica] AA Trivia Question
From: Randy Holst <rholst@micron.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:49:48 -0700

Hello Luggers,

Since there seems to be so many photo-knowledgeable people on this list,
I'd like to put a question to those in the know.

I have several 8x10 B&W photos of my great uncle, who died in 1958 when
I was just a kid.  Each print is stamped on the back: "Photograph by
Ansel Adams", an address in San Francisco and a reference to the
negative number, but no date.  These photos appear to have been part of
a commercial shoot AA did at the A. K. Salz Tannery in Santa Cruz, CA
back in the early 50's.  (My great uncle was the superintendent at the
tannery.)  I've found one photo, not matching the prints I have,  which
appears to be from this shoot published in AA's "The Negative" on page
157. (The name of the tannery was spelled wrong.)

From what I've read, AA used just about every format available
throughout his career, and I've always wondered what he used to take
these photos;  35mm, medium format or large format.  From the appearance
of the photos, I think 35mm can be eliminated.  Does anyone have any
idea which format was used, or specifically which camera?

Leica content:  Did AA ever use a Leica?

Randy Holst
Boise, Idaho