Subject: Re: [Leica] 80mm Summilux-R
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:00:36 -0800

Paul wrote:

>    Just got back a roll of Kodachrome 200  shot using my latest
>acquisition, the 80mm F1.4.   I used the lens wide open and found the
>results a bit  soft, is this typical for this lens? Presumably, stopping
>down will sharpen  things up?>>

Hi Paul,

Not at all. As far as being wide open the 80 1.4 is a beauty as far as I've
found and I've used mine wide open more times than I can remember.  It was
a little out of whack after I bounced it off the side walk jumping out of a
van, but that was repaired and it's right on the mark, at all apetures.

Your not confusing lack of depth of field with "unsharp" by any chance are you?

And are all the frames "soft" no matter what distance you have focused? Or
is it only at infinity?  If it's here, "infinity," I suppose it's possible
the lens isn't coming right on at infinity and it would show up wide open,
while stopped down it wouldn't be noticable due to greater depth of field.

I guess the gang needs a bit more information.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant