Subject: RE: [Leica] 80mm Summilux-R
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:38:41 -0800

BD,

I find your comments interesting. If we use MTF tests as supplied by PHOTODO
(they use Hasselblad MTF equipment, which I would assume would make for a
somewhat scientific test) the Leica lenses rate as follows:

Lens                             Rating           Resolution at F-Stops
Leica Elmarit-M F2.8               4.1                      f2,8 0,78  f4
0,81  f8 0,82
Leica Summicron-R 35mm F2          3.8             f2 0,68  f2,8 0,75  f4
0,78  f8 0,80
Leica Summicron-M 35mm F2          4.0             f2 0,69  f2,8 0,78  f4
0,80  f8 0,83
Leica Summilux-M Asp 35mm F1.4     3.8  f1,4 0,54  f2 0,65  f2,8 0,75  f4
0,75  f8 0,83

It would appear that the Summicron-M F2 lens set at F8 will resolve equally
as well as the Summilux-M Asph, and surprisingly better at F2.8 and F4.  I
was surprised to see this.  So if you don't need the fast speed, you can
strill have the resolution of the more expensive lens.

Peter K