Subject: Re: [Leica] Wha...?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 22:38:20 -0800

At 08:45 PM 11/18/99 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>He was certainly never a "devoted" 35mm photographer, and that much we
>know from the best evidence of all: his work.

Actually, Mike he was. I've seen pictures taken by him that are 35 mm all
throughout his career. The Stieglitz picture I mentioned earlier. The photo
of Georgia O'Keefe and friends laughing (she's wearing a big black hat) and
I remember a closeup take with a 55 Micro Nikkor and then in his
autobiography he talks about sitting down at a picnic bench at Point Lobos
to load Tri-X into his Leica R4 and having a discussion with a guy. There
are several references to his talking about his using 35mm for snapshots,
for the kinds of pictures the camera is appropriate, but he also stated
that he never used it for his serious work. At the end of his life, the
Leica WAS all he could carry. I have a book that has a picture where he
used his R4. It was taken in 1982.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.