Subject: Re: [Leica] Look up "devoted"
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:12:41 -0800

At 06:56 AM 11/19/99 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>With major artists in any media, we need to look at the evidence of the
>work first. Eisenstadt was a devoted 35mm photographer. Winogrand,
>Cartier-Bresson, Ernst Haas, Rodchenko, Ralph Gibson, the list goes on
>and on. Ansel Adams was NOT a "devoted" 35mm photographer by ANY stretch
>of the meaning of the word.

Mike,

I never claimed he was a devoted Leica user. Maybe Marc did. But a man who
know how to choose equipment, and when 35mm was appropriate, he gave up his
Nikon and bought a Leica when the R4 came along. When he was old and on his
last legs, Leica was the camera of choice, when even his Hasselblad was too
heavy. I suspect he wasn't a devoted user of anything, he used so many
different cameras and lenses. He was faithful to manufacturers who gave him
equipment, thus his consistent use of Hasselblad, and Contax in the early
years. But that's not devotion. It's economic good sense for a photographer
who spent most of his career struggling to stay solvent.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?