Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: SL2 eats film
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:22:41 EST

I did in fact pull off the rewind crank on my SL2.  The metal failed at the
threaded end of the shaft where it screws into the rewind knob.  Surprised
the hell out of me when it happened.  Embarrassing too, when your Leica fails
in front of a room full of people!
I think the best method for attaching the film to the take up spool is to
slide it behind two of the tabs or fingers.  I think this puts the least
amount of strain on the rewind crank/shaft upon rewind.  For years, I would
slide the film behind one of the tabs with about a 1/4 inch of film
protruding beyond the tab, on my SL.  I think the rewind shaft on the SL is
more robust than on the SL2.
Maybe the old timers in Wetzlar were right to use a knob on the M2/M3.  Never
heard of one of those pulling off.

Bill Rosauer