Subject: Re: [Leica] "Wide" Portraits
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:03:36 -0800

> If you think horizontal is difficult to imagine try shooting square.
> Seriously, some of my most interesting portraits are done horizontally
> with a loose upper-body framing to allow for environment. Generally,
> I'll compose the subjects face on one of the "thirds" so that the
> brighter skin areas act as compositional anchors. I've also enjoyed
> framing horizontals so tight that the subject's face "bleeds" off the
> frame. Thus, you might not even include the top of their head or one
> side of their face. By positioning them off-center you can use the
> negative space in the frame as a balance to the dominant amount of space
> the face is utilizing. Hope this helps. Experiment.

Incidentally, I am quite fond of the square format.  My introduction to the
peculiar format was an old Yashica 635, bought for $70 Canadian when I was
in high school.  Since then, it has collected dust much of the time, and I
did not start shooting with a square format camera until a couple of years
ago, when I was introduced to the venerable Pentacon Six TL system with
fabulous lenses.  The flaky body and having finally bought and started using
Leica rangefinders, I sold the Pentacon system, and bought a Mamiya 6 with
75mm and 50mm lenses.

The square format allows me to capture the image first, with an intention to
frame it exactly in the darkroom.  I found this consistent with the spirit
of rangefinder cameras.  However, I have often found the square image quite
pleasing, and have made square prints, as well.  I also like portraits in
square format, too.