Subject: Re: [Leica] Squares and sabotage
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:14:47 EST

In a message dated 11/22/99 12:24:17 AM, mrabiner@concentric.net writes:

>The whole amateur camera industry would grind to a Y2K halt if you put
>doubt in
>peoples minds as to what is "portrait" and what is "landscape."
>Such talk is pure insidious sabotage. You might as well throw a wrench
>into the
>gears driving our end of the electronics industry!
>"You mean "portrait" is not up and down???!!!!"

The so-called "environmental portrait" is so over-used in photojournalism it
has become a cliche -- I should know, it has become a crutch in my work. One
that I struggle to break out of.

For those of you who haven't worn this approach out yet, it really quite
simple.

Step 1.) Frame your background or environment with a wide angle lens (24mm is
perfect). Oh, yeah, this is a horizontal normally.
Step 2.) Place your subject promienently in the foreground -- "Stand here,
no, closer, no, really, much closer" -- about 3-4 feet away will give you a
chest up view of your subject.

There, you're done. Isn't that nice.

Although this approach is beat to death I find myself wanting to teach it to
tourist when I see them shooting family group shots with the family
positioned about 40 feet away sitting on the steps of whatever monument or
building they're posing in front of. I can just imagine showing the photos to
friends -- "See there . . .THat speck on the steps? That's Aunt Gerta . . . "

Bob (who said there are no rules in photography) McEowen