Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon 35mm f1.8 (was Grainy Pics)
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:32:02 -0500

At 05:21 AM 11/22/1999 -0800, Mark Langer wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone
>had experience with the various non-Leitz wide angle lenses.  Which are
>the ones to keep an eye out for?  Being on a limited budget, I'm
>interested in value for the money, which made the price of the Canon f2
>more attractive to me than the $750 for the Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 or the
>Summicron or Summilux 35s.  If I were to look for a 28mm, 25mm or around
>20mm lens, what should I be considering?

Hmm.  There IS a book floating about on non-Leica lenses, but I cannot
recall the name of the author or the title right now.  <he smiles thinly>

Any Angenieux or Rodenstock or JSK or Zeiss lens will be a fine performer
- -- I have, for instance, a Carl Zeiss 4.5/21 Biogon converted from Contarex
to Leica M which finally got me away from my 5.6/20 Russar MR-2, though I
still use the latter on my LTM cameras.  The Russian lenses (5.6/20 Russar
MR-2 and 6/28 Orion-15) are slow but optically quite nice -- and quite
inexpensive.  The 19mm Canon is a good performer, but has unfortunately
become a collectible -- when Nikon RF gear went through the roof in the
early and middle 1980's, the collectors began to work on the Canon RF
stuff, which is why all of the Canon RF lenses are now going up, up, up in
price.

The Steinheil lenses are great, but all are slow.  Schacht lenses are good
and get better as time progresses.  In general, ISCO lenses are not worth
it unless the price is quite low.  Enna lenses are pretty damned good, and
they made some neat focal length/aperture combinations.

And, a  little tighter than you want, the 40mm Kilfitt is a great lens,
though it was never offered in LTM -- but one in M42 and it can easily be
adapted to LTM.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!