Subject: [Leica] R4, 6, 7...what's the difference?
From: Douglas Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:51:18 -0500

- -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------

Message text written by INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

"Is a R7 @ $1,200 more or less desirable than a R4 @ $550 assuming both
are in excellent  condition?  I know the 7 must have more
features/benefits than the 4 due to development, but I don't know the
particulars.

I'm getting the camera for my wife, who takes mostly
kids/street/landscape, and would like the option of going auto from time
to time...so unfortunately an M is out.

Finally, do you think there's a better lens to start with than a 50/2?

Any facts/opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Bruce

"

- -------------------- End Original Message --------------------

Early production of the R4 was plagued with electronic problems, and the R7
is a very reliable, very solid camera.  The additional features include
built-in diopter adjustment, TTL flash capability, half-stop shutter
increments in manual mode, and numerous little idiot-proofing and ergonomic
tweaks.

The 50mm Summicron is an excellent lens, particularly the later (55mm
filter thread) versions but whether it's a good one for your wife depends
on her vision and her way of making pictures.  To me, a 400mm lens is a
"normal" lens so I prefer a longer lens, the 90mm Summicron-R, for my kid
pix.  I'm also finding that as the kids grow older the lenses I use become
longer and my technique becomes more sneaky, because the kids have become
more aware of their image.

Doug Herr
Sacramento