Subject: Re: [Leica] R4, 6, 7...what's the difference?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:39:51 -0800

At 09:24 AM 11/22/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Is a R7 @ $1,200 more or less desirable than a R4 @ $550 assuming both
>are in excellent  condition?  I know the 7 must have more
>features/benefits than the 4 due to development, but I don't know the
>particulars.

The R7 is really a great camera. Much better than an R4. More rugged, and
the shutter speeds are in 1/2 steps. And the numbers on the right side of
the viewfinder  are backlit with LEDs rather than light coming in through
the lens. The benefit is that in the dark and strong backlight it's much
easier to read.

>Finally, do you think there's a better lens to start with than a 50/2?

Nope, it's a superb lens to start with. When I bought my first R4mot in '81
that's the only lens I had for over a year! And I have to say, I have some
nice stuff. :-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

"A lot of people face adversity by asking, "How would
Jesus have dealt with this?" But that doesn't help me
much, because I doubt Jesus ever had bad credit."