Subject: RE: [Leica] deserve to be green
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:03:37 -0000

> B.D.
> The lore from 20 years ago had it that Acufine would push
> Tri-X to 1200 ASA
> (not ISO back then!) and that Diafine would do about 2400.  I
> never tried
> them myself. Maybe somebody else around here has.  Might be
> fun to compare
> with modern soups.
> Mike D

Mike, I hate to make myself sound like an Alzheimer's patient....What I do
remember of my introduction to the darkroom about 38 years ago was using
Diafine and Acufine and having a mentor about 3 years older than I - he had
a IIIc with a Canon 50 1.8 - whose goal was to push Tri-X into the
stratosphere, ending up with grain like sea-shells. I remember using both
Acufine and Diafine to push with, and seem to recall the 800-1200 range with
one, and up to about 3200 with the other...but I don't remember which was
which...and I certainly wouldn't recommend the radical pushing unless
someone's life or livelihood absolutely depended on it..;-)