Subject: Re: [Leica] Homeless: flowers of the street
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:58:13 EST

In a message dated 11/23/99 5:26:37 PM, michaeljohnston@ameritech.net writes:

<< Half of my involvement in photography has consisted of becoming

thoroughly  jaded about various clichéd subject matter. Street people

were first, because everybody I ever taught in D.C. at one point or

another decided that they needed to change the world with a socially

meaningful photograph of a homeless person asleep on a bench or

sidewalk. I used to mark students up half a grade point for the semester

if they'd never shown me a "bum shot."  >>

To continue in the vein of photographic confession (I previously admitted
making cheap environmental portraits) I confess, I once photographed a bum.
But I was not content to just grab a quick photo. I introduced myself and
talked him into letting me follow him around some. I went with him while he
bummed, while he bought his triple cheeseburger at Wendy's, when he went to
the liquour store and drank with his bum friends. I even went back to the
flop house where he lived, sneaked past the desk with him and made a cheap
environmental portrait of him and his roommate in their room.

There I feel better already

Bob (forgive me for I have commited a photographic sin) McEowen