Subject: Re: [Leica] Homeless: flowers of the street
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:19:37 -0800

At 09:58 PM 11/23/1999 -0500, Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:
>. I even went back to the
>flop house where he lived, sneaked past the desk with him and made a cheap
>environmental portrait of him and his roommate in their room.

Hey, Bob, was he a former psychology professors whose wife left him so he
gave up on life? Did he call himself the "king of the street people?"

I did the same thing in J-School. And he took me to where he slept when it
was 20 below. In an abandoned building where he covered himself up with
fiberglass to keep warm.

Don Elwell? :-)

We all do the cliches. That's what makes them cliches.

And did you ever ask to take pictures at Booche's  - the bar just down from
Shakespear's Pizza? :-)

I did on assignment from St. Louis magazine on a story about where to go
after the football game. I was the first photographer he'd ALLOWED in for
years. I remember any basic press photography student caught photographing
in there had their grade taken down one level. If the bartender didn't get
to them first. The reason? Church people didn't want people seeing them
drinking in the paper. :-)

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

There are two kinds of photographers: those who compose pictures and those
who take them. The former work in studios. For the latter, the studio is
the world.For them, the ordinary doesn't exist: every thing in life is a
source of nourishment. -Ernst Haas