Subject: [Leica] Re: Nazi Leicas
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 23:36:26 -0800

I haven't been reading this list, but for some reason I read this. It's
beyond my comprehension why a piece of metal is supposed to have a
conscience. Was the camera at fault somewhere? Did it cause the Holocaust?
There are European artifacts dating from the 20's through the 40's by the
millions (perhaps billions) throughout the world. So what are we supposed
to do? Ask anything that is old "were you held or owned by a Nazi?" How
long do we wait for it to respond? I wonder if that last atom of oxygen you
inhaled was at one time inhaled by a Nazi. Better stop breathing.

This is sheer stupidity!!!

Of the highest order!!!

Go out and take pictures with your Leica. Oops... The sand that made YOUR
lens may have come from you know where. Better not let it form an image on
your film. Film? Damn... I don't know where metal for the cassette came
from. Or the halide ions in the emulsion. I better stop typing. Turn off my
computer. I don't know where those electrons have been.

What about Eddie Adams camera? It didn't record mushrooms. He was awarded
the Pulitzer Prize in 1969 for his unforgettable photograph of the street
execution of a Viet Cong. Should the camera be destroyed?

Jim

At 10:04 PM 11/24/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Jeffrey Frankel wrote:
>>
>> I had an unusual incident at work a few months ago.
>>
>> I was discussing my LTM camera in the maintenance department of my plant
>> when an electrical contractor came in a listened in.  An elderly Polish
man,
>> he smiled and asked if I would like to see his screw mount.  I said sure.
>>
>> About two weeks later he returned with a fairly beat up IIIA (?I think)
with