Subject: Re: [Leica] Squares and sabotage
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:09:33 EST

In a message dated 11/24/99 7:49:39 PM, ewelch@neteze.com writes:

<< Reasonable, except for the showing the owner before hand. That's contrary
to good journalism practice.  >>

Sorry, Eric, but with the exception of "expose" journalism in which you admit
you're out to burn someone, I think your "contrary to good journalism
practice" comment is a load of, well, baseless convention. We at Rural
Missouri -- the bastion of good journalism that it is -- routinely fax a copy
of our stories to subjects before they appear as an accuracy check. I can't
tell you how many times this has saved us from some really stupidly
embarrassing mistake. What in the hallowed halls of journalism is wrong with
ensuring accuracy?  A guy invites you into his life long enough to do a story
on him the least you can do is get it right. I realize you were talking about
photos and I am talking about words but really they're not much different.
When I fax someone a story, I sent them it in layout form -- with the photos
in place. I have never ONCE hand anyone question the photos. Of course, I'm
not out to hurt someone either. I do feature stories and occasional
topic/issue stories and I always strive to be fair. If I were out to expose
injustice I would probably get a colder reception but I would still offer the
subjects the opportunity to set the record straight before the damage is
done. Incidently, I learned this practice in News 306 class at MU. DId they
teach you something different?

Bob (hates inaccuracy) McEowen