Subject: Re: [Leica] Squares and sabotage
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:38:41 EST

In a message dated 11/26/99 12:46:14 PM, ewelch@neteze.com writes:

<< But you guys should do what you are doing. Because you don't really have
the same protection, I suspect, that newspapers do. It would be much easier
to sue, since there is a commercial angle to what you do. Or am I wrong on
that point? >>

My views on this topic have nothing to do with legal protection or the
interest of my employer. I can only speak for myself but, speaking for
myself, journalistic practices are not the supreme law in my life, nor is
photography or anything connected to my work. Before anybody gets upset and
thinks I'm pointing fingers, I'm not. I'm just talking about me. I have some
pretty specific ideas about man, what he was put on this earth for and what
the duty of man is. Nowhere in that view is the idea that you can do anything
you want to your brother if it's in the interest of getting a story or a
photo. When I was first starting out in photojournalism I heard someone say,
"First, be a mensch." The statement expresses as well as any I've heard the
idea that above everything else, we need to be a good person, to do right by
each other. I think that's a pretty good rule.

Again, I'm not pointing fingers at anybody. It's a personal thing. I believe
what I believe about this issue. I've tried it. I've seen it work. You don't
have to agree. But I would bet you one thing. If it was YOU being
interviewed, you'd rather have somebody like me doing the story rather than
somebody with a "Publish first and we'll sort it all out later" attitude.

Bob (trying to be a mensch) McEowen