Subject: [Leica] Leitz and World War I
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:53:52 -0500

At 03:40 PM 11/27/1999 EST, LP6@aol.com wrote:
>Why-especially -WW I interests:  a pre Leitz environment?

Excuse me?  Leitz traces its roots back to the middle of the 1800's.
Before World War I, they were the principal supplier of microscopes to
medical schools in Europe and the US.  During the First World War, they
were the second largest supplier of binoculars to the German military,
after Zeiss.

And they had been producing camera lenses since the first decade of this
century.  LF lenses, it is true.

Oscar Barnack was hired by Leitz from Zeiss long before the First World
War:  he left Zeiss as they wouldn't put him on the management health
insurance plan, and he was an asthmatic.

Leitz certainly had a healthy presence long before the First World War.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!