Subject: [Leica] SL viewfinder
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 00:12:06 +0100

Dear SL lovers,

I recently acquired an SL and was surprised with the image quality of the
viewfinder screen.  It is bright, smooth, and rich as Doug Herr et al. have
mentioned. (Thanks!)  I compared it with my SL2 and R6.2 and found the SL a
winner. I also found its hue a bit more yellowish or less blueish and prefer
it.  Unfortunately, the prism of my SL has some desilvering spots and a
fungus clot on it, and this happened to be my worst experience with eBay :-(
I have not had it replaced with a new one which I heard costs about 250 USD,
because the condition is not so annoying for the moment.  Then I have two
questions.

1) Has someone had a prism of SL exchanged for a new one?  How was the
outcome?  How much was the cost?  Did it change the hue more blueish?
2) Who produces new prisms for SL now, Leica or some other manufacturers?
Or are they recycled from ones in abandoned bodies ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Mikiro
Strasbourg, Europe