Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica C1
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 17:45:46 +0000

Lee Yan Zhan wrote:

> Traditionally, Leica plastic body P&S has never compete well with the
> Japanese brands due to higher costs and lower brand awareness.  Locally
> here, at the high end level, most go for the Contax T2/TVS

Interestingly, I was at photo repair shop today and the Leica P&S
cameras came up as a topic of conversation with repairman and he just
laughed.  Said people come in proud of their "Leica" but that they are
simply inexpensive Konica or some such with Leica name he said.  But the
T2 he had great respect for.

I was in there to get my Vivitar 285 fixed.  A wire had come loose from
both the metal foot (aftermarket) and somewhere inside that I couldn't
identify.  That is the first repair on that strobe in 25 years!!!   And
to think a 283/5 costs about $80 new today.  Give Vivitar credit for
creating something as dependable as a Leica M--and then not messing
around with it.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego