Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Off to Bali & Amsterdam
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 17:58:06 -0800

At 7:26 PM -0500 11/27/99, LP6@aol.com wrote:
>Dan:
>
>Monkey theft on the isle of Bali...now really?
>
>Kidding "aside"; indeed, I 've heard they prefer Leicas!
>
>Seriously, I appreciate the LUG response I'm getting to my Bali and Amsterdam
>queries!
>
>Leon
>LP6@aol.com

The monkey theft issue is very real. In the monkey forest West of Ubud it
is essential that you take off your glasses and stow them safely. Same with
earrings, necklaces, pendants etc. My daughter had her earrings torn from
her ear, and my wife had her glasses stolen when they didn't heed the
signs. They got them back after a while. When I was there a number of years
ago I was happy to have an autofocus SLR with me. I was able to take
pictures of monkeys when I could only see fuzzy outlines on my focussing
screen, and could rely on the autofocus (using up to a 300/4). I'm not sure
they would go after black Leicas, but chrome ones _would_ attract them,
only they would probably rip them off your neck and then drop them after
carrying them 10m when they felt they were too heavy. The monkeys are not
everywhere, but you do have to use caution.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com