Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz and World War I
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:39:06 -0500

At 04:32 PM 11/27/1999 -0800, Eric Welch wrote:

>Doesn't it go back to 1827 or so? I seem to remember reading that date
>somewhere.

Karl Kellner founded the firm as a general optical works in 1849, three
years after Carl Zeiss had done the same at Jena.  Although the firm's
initial business was in field glasses and telescopes for the gentry and
aristocracy, by 1855, that had been hied off to the Hensoldt concern (now a
Zeiss subsidiary, still in Wetzlar, where virtually all Zeiss binoculars
are manufactured).  Kellner died in 1855, and his widow remarried;  her new
husband, Friedrich Belthle, took over the firm.  He brought in a young
Ernst Leitz I in 1862 and left him the business when he died in 1869.  The
firm was to remain a family business until twenty years ago.

I believe microscopes were all that was produced at Leitz until the first
decade of this century;  certainly, they had moved back into binoculars
before World War I, as Hensoldt could no longer meet demand, and added cine
projectors in the years right before the First War.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!